Here is a list of Chican@ studies books I have compiled. Please feel free to add to the list so that we can collect and share the wealth of knowledge we all have.
Globalization and immigration:
Indigenous Mexican Migrants in the U.S., Gaspar Rivera-Salgado.
Just Neighbors?: Research on African American and Latino Relations in the U.S., Gaspar Rivera-Salgado.
Illegal People: How Globalization Creates Migration and Criminalizes Immigrants, David Bacon.
Zapotec Women: Gender, Class, and Ethnicity in Globalized Oaxaca, Lynn Stephen.
Transborder Lives: Indigenous Oaxacans in Mexico, California, and Oregon, Lynn Stephen.
Consuming Mexican Labor: From the Bracero Program to NAFTA, Ronald L. Mize.
Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent, Eduardo Galeano.
Mexico Profundo: Reclaiming a Civilization, Guillermo Bonfil Batalla.
Occupied America: A History of Chicanos, Rodolfo Acuna.
Blowout!: Sal Castro and the Chicano Struggle for Educational Justice, Mario Garcia.
Becoming Mexican American: Ethnicity, Culture, and Identity in Chicano Los Angeles, 1900-1945, George J. Sanchez.
The Tempest, Shakespeare.
Always Running- La Vida Loca: Gang Days in L.A., Luis Rodriguez.
Yo Soy Joaquin/I am Joaquin, Rodolfo Gonzalez.
Zoot Suit and Other Plays, Luis Valdez.
The House on Mango Street, Sandra Cisneros.
The Labyrinth of Solitude and Other Writings, Octavio Paz.
On Race and Ethnicity:
Visible Identities: Race, Gender, and the Self, Linda Alcoff.
Racial Formation in the United States: From the 1960s to the 1990s, Michael Omi and Howard Winant.
The New Politics of Race: Globalism, Difference, Justice, Howard Winant.
Generations of Exclusion: Mexican Americans, Assimilation, and Race, Edward Telles.
Critical Race Theory: An Introduction, Richard Delgado.
The Latino Condition: A Critical Reader, Richard Delgado.
Critical Race Theory: The Key Writings That Formed the Movement, Kimberle Crenshaw.
How Racism Takes place and The Possessive Investment of Whiteness: How White People Profit from Identity Politics, George Lipsitz.
Anatomy of Racism, David Theo Goldberg.
Racial Fault Lines: The Historical Origins of White Supremacy in California, Tomas Almaguer.
Chicana Power!, Maylei Blackwell.
De Colores Means All of Us: Latina Views for a Multi-Colored Century, E.S. Martinez.
The Woman in the Zoot Suit, Catherine Ramirez.
Gender on the Borerlands: The Frontiers Reader, Patricia Hart, Susan Armitage, Karen Weathermon, Adeleida del Castillo.
Terrorizing Women: Feminicide in the Americas, Rosa Linda Fregoso.
meXicana Encounters: The Making of Social Identities on the Borderlands, Rosa Linda Fregoso.
Borderlands/La Frontera, Gloria Anzaldua.
Women and Social movements in Latin America: Power from Below, Lynn Stephen.
Femicide, Free Trade, and La Frontera, Alicia Gaspar de Alba.
Academic writers (from what I know, have only have published in academic journals):
Chicanos and Geography:
Barrio Urbanism: Chicanos, Planning and American Cities, David R. Diaz.
Encountering Development: The Making and Unmaking of the Third World Arturo Escobar
Territories of Difference: Place, Movements, Life, Redes, Arturo Escobar.
Barrio Gangs, James Diego Vigil.
Chicano Nations, Marissa K. Lopez.
Popular Culture in the Age of White Flight: Fear and Fantasy in Suburban Los Angeles, Eric Avila.
Others that are essential but I didn’t know where to place them:
Chicano Art Inside/Outside the Master’s House: Cultural Politics and the CARA Exhibition, Alicia Gaspar de Alba.
Pedagogy of the Oppressed, Paolo Freire.
The Colonizer and the Colonized, Albert Memmi.
- ajabualrubs reblogged this from funkyfreshflavor
- flowers-intherain likes this
- swimminginaseaofcatastrophe likes this
- theovarianbarbarian likes this
- post-makhno likes this
- palabrasderesistencia likes this
- crystal-celeste likes this
- weusedtorun likes this
- bichodicho reblogged this from dulcerevolution
- urban-writer reblogged this from funkyfreshflavor
- resistenciamexicana likes this
- hoodlivinhollywooddreamin likes this
- madeinjalisco reblogged this from paisaprivilege and added:
- susanaaamaria likes this
- katiuskis likes this
- chulonepantla likes this
- beemill likes this
- aprilseye likes this
- rosesrising reblogged this from jsetayes17 and added:
- rosesrising likes this
- jsetayes17 reblogged this from nezua
- jsetayes17 likes this
- onewithoutbelonging likes this
- vilmasaurus reblogged this from palabrasderesistencia
- itsoundedrightinmyhead reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
- itsoundedrightinmyhead likes this
- msnewjudi likes this
- queerpolyparent reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
- what-would-the-community likes this
- friduchaamparo reblogged this from mujeristaxicana
- friduchaamparo likes this
- haleysunshine likes this
- shimbiryahow likes this
- freshmouthgoddess reblogged this from nezua
- xyia-papaya likes this
- xyia-papaya reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
- female-only reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
- female-only likes this
- cloudfoldings likes this
- builditupmylove reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
- seismicwaves likes this
- decolonizehistory likes this
- simplyawwchumm likes this
- soulisfromelsewhere likes this
- stringsdafistmcgee reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
- the-uncensored-she reblogged this from funkyfreshflavor and added:
- posttragicmulatto reblogged this from nezua
- nezua reblogged this from funkyfreshflavor
- starshinecorazon likes this
- lunaloverz likes this